Sunday, January 25, 2009

Einstein invoked in George Mitchell's elevation



George Mitchell's Return
-Daniel Pipes

[H]ow can one take seriously yet another diplomatic initiative [from George Mitchell]? Here is a partial listing of diplomatic initiatives undertaken since 2001:

George W. Bush's June 2002 speech.
The Geneva Accords.
The Quartet.
The Roadmap.
The Mitchell Report
The Tenet Understandings
The Abdullah Plan.
The "Benchmarks" for peace.
The Zinni mission.
The Wolfensohn mission
The Ward mission.
The Dayton mission.
The Annapolis Foundation, headed by James L. Jones.
The Fraser mission.

Albert Einstein [pictured above] defined insanity as "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Could someone explain to me how that definition does not apply to this effort? Does anyone wish to wager on its chances for success?
[DanielPipes.org]

4 comments:

LHwrites said...

Again, I have to believe Mitchell is a stop gap move to see where everything stands, by ushering in a familiar and respected face. It cannot be expected that he will figure in any serious new thrust in solving the puzzle of the Palestinians in the MidEast. Time will tell if this is temporary, or one of Obama's first missteps.

Bruce said...

I'd vote for mis-step. But i'm guessing you're not surprised.

I'm not sure why President Obama's domestic staff choices have been so sensible and centrist...but this one seems off.

LHwrites said...

I think there is more to it. I think he chose someone respected enough, who can work with Hillary, who I believe will take an active role in the MidEast. I think all anyone can offer in the situation, as it stands, is stop-gap measures, ensure the protection of Israel, and seem open and accepting of Muslim ideas for the region. There is no direct intervention, or really any action to take yet. No one knows what will work, and the situation is in flux after Israel's Gaza/Hamas action. I was surprised by this move. I am not expecting any great missteps, not because I know Obama is so great or infallible, but because he is smart and careful and seems to be seeking out experienced advisers. This may be how he chose Mitchell. Experience and knowledge, but no expectation of solutions offered or results. That is why I still see stop-gap as the rationale.

Bruce said...

I hope you're correct.